As one of our holiday gifts to you (and to thank you all for following along with “the cookie diaries”), we’re publishing our traditional holiday cookie receipt. This receipt was developed over the last few years by Mike and Kathy, who discovered the base of the receipt on a lining paper for a cookie sheet made by “The Bake King Company”, which at the time was a brand of The Chicago Metallic Bakeware Company.
The innovation of this receipt is twofold: First, instead of refrigerating the cookie dough and then flattening and cutting out shapes, we cover the dough and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes, then scoop out balls of dough onto the cookie sheet and top them with red sugar sprinkles before baking.
Second, we add two ingredients to the dough mixture which scream “holidays”–slivered almonds and Guittard’s mint chocolate chips. Combined with the altered procedure, these additional ingredients help create a fluffy, crunchy cookie that we’ve been told is “absolutely addicting”. (One of our friends tell us, “Those cookies keep calling my name.” We tell him, “Keep listening!”)
So without further ado, here is our traditional holiday cookie receipt. Enjoy, and have a happy rest of your holiday season!
(Don’t forget, tomorrow we reveal our vegan, gluten-free holiday cookie receipt!)
Holiday Sugar Cookies with Slivered Almonds and Mint Chocolate Chips ~ a newdeal kitchen receipt ~
This holiday cookie receipt has been developed over several holiday seasons, and it started with a recipe we found on a paper insert for a sheet pan made by the Bake King Company. Our take on the basic receipt is to let the dough at room temperature, then to spoon on balls of dough instead of rolling it flat and cutting shapes. Oh yes, the slivered almonds and mint chocolate chips are different, too.
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon lemon extract
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup mint chocolate chips (for best results, use Guittard® Mint Chocolate Chips)
red sugar sprinkles, to taste
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a small bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. Combine vanilla and lemon extracts, beaten egg, and milk. Add to butter and sugar and blend together.
- Add in dry ingredients slowly and blend until batter is thick.
- Fold in slivered almonds and mint chocolate chips until the batter is well combined.
- Cover the batter with a towel and let it rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375º.
- While your oven is heating up, place a sheet of parchment paper or a silicon pad on a cookie sheet.
- With a #30 disher/ice cream scoop, create a rounded ball of dough (approximately 1¼ tablespoons) and place it on the cookie sheet. Flatten the ball slightly with your fingers until it resembles a hockey puck.
- Repeat until you have approximately a dozen or so balls of dough on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle cookies with red sugar sprinkles to your look and taste.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes (or until they smell ready). Then remove, let cool several minutes, and enjoy!
Note: Guittard® is a registered trademark of Guittard Chocolate Company and is used here for informational purposes only. newdeal kitchen does not have an advertising relationship with Guittard Chocolate Company.